Hello! We’ve got a winner from our last contest for the Frank Zammetti book, and I put some questions I’ve received out to you, the listening community. We’re looking for some feedback on what webdev technologies you’d point people to who are just looking to get in to the field, and also looking for suggestions for good PHP OO learning resources.
Frank is a developer in Pennsylvania who has written a couple books on AJAX and the various toolkits available, as well as contributed to and started some open source projects. Listen closely, and email in to win a copy of Frank’s latest book!
- Zammetti's blog :: Frank Zammetti's weblog
- Frank Zammetti's books :: Frank's books for sale at Amazon
There’s been a whole lot of interesting things happening in the webdev world the past couple months, and this is a quick catch up on just a few of the highlights. Podcast covers MS Silverlight project, codemash conference, codetolive webcast, simunication prototyping tool, yui compressor, zotero research tool and the hibernate/lucene search project.
- Silverlight project site :: MS' foray in to rich internet applications
- Code To Live :: On the road project interviewing “real life” developers
- Simunication :: Interesting prototyping/requirements tool
- Zotero :: Firefox plugin for researchers
- Hibernate Search project :: Hibernate and Lucene – together at last
- Keith Elder :: Former .net pimp
I interview Keith Murphy about his daily work as a MySQL DBA, including the challenges of clustering, RAID configurations, and more. We also talk about his new MySQL magazine effort and what readers can expect from that publication.
- iContact :: Keith's employer, iContact, provides email marketing and blogging software.
- MySQL Magazine :: Keith's MySQL magazine
- Diamond Notes :: Keith's blog – postings from a regular DBA
The majority of this episode is a webdev discussion with James Ward (Adobe) and Andy Oliver (buni.org). There’s a short recap here about my travails with ValueWeb’s horrible migration disaster, a partial OSCON wrapup, mention of the Windmill testing project, and a promise of 4-5 more presentation recordings from OSCON.
- OSCON 2007 presentation files :: Missed an OSCON session, or couldn't make the conference? Grab the presenters' slides here!
- Adobe's Flex community :: Learn all about Flex here!
- BUNI :: Home of the Meldware Communications Suite
- James Ward :: Adobe Flex community leader and evangelist
- ValueWeb's migration disaster :: Community discussion from those hit hardest
- windmill testing project :: OSAF's open source AJAX/browser testing platform
This is a repost of a missing episode due to valueweb’s extremely poor server migration (read: meltdown). I can’t recall the specifics of this episode, but I did mention my (then) upcoming OSCON presentation on SOLR and the OurSQL podcast.
- SOLR OSCON FILES :: The pdf and sample code of my SOLR presentation.
I’ve got some info on an upcoming southeast Ruby conference, looking for MySQL DBAs, a book on web site security, new open source application from MIT and more…
- Timeline :: “Google Maps for time-based information”
- Ruby Hoedown :: Destined to become the premier Ruby conference for the SouthEast
- How to Break Web Software :: Great book with step-by-step instructions for breaking web software
- Groovy :: An agile dynamic language for the Java Platform
- GanntProject :: A free Java application for creating Gannt charts
I’m interviewing Erik Hatcher from the SOLR project – get your questions to me in the next few days! Also, have a look at regexbuddy.com if you deal with regular expressions.
- PHP Job Book Survey :: Take a survey about the PHP job market
- Regex Buddy :: Do you use regular expressions? You need to check out RegexBuddy!
Just a quick catch up on some news items from the past few weeks – Adobe’s Flex push, Yahoo’s YUI hosting, Firebug 1.0 released, an upcoming PHP job book and a few other tidbits.
- Yahoo YUI :: Yahoo's YUI toolkit
- Firebug :: Firebug, the essential Firefox plugin for web developers
- Upcoming PHP job book :: Link to job book I'm working on
- Jared Richardson testing talk :: Jared Richardson's talk to TriJUG Feb 2007, in OGG format.
- Five cool AJAX widgets :: Article from Jack Herrington on cool AJAX widgets
- FirePHP :: PHP debugging tool for use with Firebug